University of Vermont,President Daniel Mark Fogel announced today that he is resigning from the University of Vermont presidency, effective July 31. Trustee Chairman Robert Cioffi told Vermont Business Magazine that he expects the Trustees to name an interim president in about a week. He would not speculate whether it would be a prominent local leader, which has been the case in the last two interim presidents ‘ former Governor Tom Salmon and businessman Ed Colodny.Cioffi said Fogel came to him about a week ago to tell him that resigning would be best for him and the university as he attends to personal family matters. Cioffi said the two had been in contact over the last few months to discuss Fogel’s future with the university.Last April it came to light that Fogel’s wife was found to be having a personal relationship with a member of the UVM development staff. The university found that there were no laws university policies broken, but the situation became a major news story. The university is still reviewing the situation and that review should be completed by mid-August. All this came to light after Fogel announced that he would step down in 2012 as president after 10 years. Fogel’s plan then was to take some time off and come back to the university as a tenured professor to teach literature.Cioffi said the agreement is still that Fogel will return as a tenured professor in 2013 after taking the next 17 months off. He said the search for a permanent president is already under way and he anticipates interviews to begin in January. Cioffi said, as with Fogel 10 years ago, the trustees will look nationally and even internationally to find a leader who will be a worthy successor to Fogel.Fogel is widely credited with turning the university around, not only financially but academically. Enrollment has gone up, as has the quality of student, Cioffi said. He said none of the recent events will tarnish the profound legacy Fogel is leaving. That legacy, he said, not only includes the enrollment quality and the expansion of the physical plant, such as the Davis Center, but perhaps most importantly is represented by the UVM Honors College. Fogel was not available to the press. Cioffi said he might be in the coming days. Below is a statement Fogel sent to the UVM community and posted on its Web site. Pictured are Fogel (top) and Cioffi.”July 20, 2011To: All Members of the University of Vermont Community After much soul-searching, I have decided to tender my resignation from the presidency of UVM effective July 31. I am doing so for the good of this wonderful University and for deeply personal reasons. Suffice it to say that I care greatly about my wife and our marriage, and it has become increasingly clear to me that, in the face of difficult challenges, I cannot serve the University to the best of my ability while obeying the imperative need I feel today to devote significant time and my very best energies to taking care of her and myself and, collaterally, to preparing to resume my work as a teacher and scholar, right here at UVM, in what my father always told me never to forget is the University’s highest rank, the rank of Professor. That for me will be a great joy, which I consecrate to his memory.One can’t do a job like the one I have been in for the last nine years without having some regrets. And yet on balance, looking back over the course of the richly packed and intense years since 2002, there is no question in my mind that the successes we have had as a University’and the satisfaction I take in those successes, not to mention the gratitude I feel for the opportunity I’ve had to serve this distinctive University and the people of Vermont’far outweigh my regrets about things I wish I had done better and passages in the life of the institution I wish had unfolded differently.So much, after all, has gone exceedingly well. In a University, as in a family, no one stands alone. We are all interdependent, and our accomplishments are without question collective ones. I will say again, one more time, how profoundly grateful I am to all members of the UVM family’to our faculty, staff, students, alumni, and friends’for helping UVM to advance in so many ways during my tenure as president: among others, the reduction of the deferred maintenance backlog; the transformation of the physical campus with land acquisitions and new facilities for teaching, re-search, and student life; the expansion of the undergraduate, graduate, and medical student bodies; the institution of new programs, ranging from the Honors College and the Vermont Integrated Curriculum to the Transdisciplinary Research Initiative and the just-approved program of General Education; the rise in the academic caliber and the ethnic and racial diversity of the student body, in the creative and scholarly output of the faculty, in external funding, and in faculty salaries that rose from near rock-bottom to a market-competitive mid-range; the successful campaign for the University of Vermont, which ended in 2007, and, since that time, the rising philanthropic trend, against strong economic headwinds, with record private gifts to UVM in 2011and the auspicious launch this year of the UVM Foundation; the many ways in which new programs such as the Burak Distinguished Lecture Series and the James Marsh Professors-at-Large Program have energized the intellectual life of the campus; the rising competitiveness of UVM Athletics, capped by the just-announced seventh straight America East Academic Cup garnered by UVM’s varsity athletes; and above all the rise in the academic quality of UVM, which has in turn lifted UVM in the hearts, minds, and esteem of the people of Vermont and raised the University’s standing in the academy nationally. We set out to boost the competitive metabolism of UVM, and together we have. Had we not, we would not be well positioned, as we are today, to continue rising above the economic storms that began four years ago, and to recruit a great new president to lead the next phase of UVM’s strong advance.I want to express special gratitude to the colleagues with whom I have worked most closely’to my three provosts, John Bramley, John Hughes, and Jane Knodell; to the leadership of UVM’s dedicated faculty, including Faculty Senate Presidents Julie Roberts, Jim Burgmeier, Justin Joffe, and Michael Gurdon and Vice-Presidents Susan Crockenberg and Judy Cohen; to several gen-erations of Staff Council and student leaders; to the deans; to each of the vice presidents and their teams, and especially to four on whose professionalism, expertise, and counsel I have relied through this whole long presidential run: Fran Bazluke, Gary Derr, Tom Gustafson, and Karen Meyer; and to all of our key support staff, with special thanks to my professional executive assistant Michelle Atherton. My thanks and admiration go to the Board of Trustees, collectively and individually, for sustained support and guidance, no less through times of challenge than through so many shared tri-umphs over the course of these nine years, and most of all to my Board chairs, Bruce Lisman, Dean Maglaris, Jim Pizzagalli, Carl Lisman, Ian Boyce, and Rob Cioffi. I am tremendously proud of UVM and of all we have accomplished together, and I look forward to assisting the University in its continuing advance. I have been one lucky guy to have had this opportunity of a lifetime, nine years of service as the President of the University of the Green Mountains! Thank you, UVM; and thank you, Vermont.Sincerely Yours,Daniel Mark Fogel”
9SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr Mazuma Credit Union’s direction to our creative team was simple, “deliver financial and credit union education in a fun and engaging manner that embodies the Mazuma brand.” Financial education is important to Mazuma, and they wanted to separate themselves from the pack. Luckily, that’s kind of our thing. We wanted to create something innovative. Something unique. Something memorable. Finally, the light bulb went off. What about an interactive game show that gives real locals a chance to win real money? Enter Mazuma “Cash Car”.Mazuma’s “Cash Car” is inspired by The Discovery Channel’s “Cash Cab,” a televised game show in which unsuspecting New York City travelers enter what appears to be a normal taxi cab and are then given a chance to win some cash if they answer trivia questions correctly. The show aired for six seasons from 2005 to 2012, and, in March 2017, it was announced the show will be returning to TV in the near future. In Mazuma’s version, we asked Kansas City travelers about the financial industry, about credit unions and about Mazuma as a whole. Get a question right, they won money. Get it wrong, however, and they received a strike. As with America’s pastime, three strikes and you’re out. continue reading »
ShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr The Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA) Monday issued its 2019 Report to Congress – outlining efforts to ensure safety and soundness within the housing market and the government-sponsored enterprises’ (GSEs) financial condition, as well as its response to the coronavirus pandemic – and a notification that it plans to re-propose minimum financial eligibility requirements for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac Seller/Servicers.The FHFA had proposed the updated eligibility requirements at the end of January, which would also apply to servicing for Ginnie Mae mortgages and non-depository financial institutions. NAFCU met with the agency following the initial proposal to discuss what the requirements will mean for non-depository institutions.While the FHFA planned to finalize the updated requirements in the second quarter of this year, the notification of re-proposal Monday said it determined “it is prudent to work with the Enterprises to reassess and re-propose these requirements, including incorporating lessons learned from the evolving COVID-19 national emergency.”According to the agency, the updated requirements intend to strengthen the government-sponsored enterprises’ seller/servicer requirements, provide transparency and consistency of capital, and liquidity required for sellers/servicers with different business models. continue reading »
Jan 30, 2006 (CIDRAP News) – Keeping the taps flowing, the lights glowing, and food on the shelves may be a higher priority than caring for the ill during an influenza pandemic, the United Nations’ coordinator for avian and pandemic flu has said.”It may be more important to concentrate on the essentials of life for those who are living than it is to focus on the treatment of those who are sick,” said David Nabarro, as quoted in a Jan 28 Reuters report following a pandemic simulation exercise.The simulation focused on what might happen in one European country 40 days into a pandemic, according to Reuters and a Jan 29 story by TurkishPress.com. The exercise, run in connection with the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, revealed preparedness gaps.”It is only as governments have begun to do simulations that countries are realizing they are nowhere near prepared for the kind of damage this does,” TurkishPress.com quoted Nabarro as saying. “If we do not all work together effectively and get properly prepared, we will be badly hit by that pandemic.”Every government now has a preparedness plan, according to Nabarro’s remarks as quoted by the Turkish Web site. Other parts of society must be involved as well, however. Governmental groups, non-governmental organizations, businesses, and media have “real potential for synergies and coordination,” he added.The UN is examining fixed partnerships with key groups, including businesses, to respond to a pandemic, Nabarro said.”The focus on business is important,” Reuters quoted Nabarro as saying. “They have skills and can do things that governments cannot.”Communications will also be important, he added. One idea: The UN is contemplating using “flu-casters” operating in a World Health Organization bunker to broadcast flu updates much as television weather forecasters predict conditions.
Photo: https://www.condohotelcenter.com After two years, the company “Split Peninsula Properties” from Zagreb received a building permit for the construction of a catering and tourist facility on undeveloped plots above the Promenade of John Paul II, writes Free Dalmatia (SD). Find out more about the whole project HERE The terrain in Split is currently extremely “hot”, both due to the upcoming local elections, the situation in the City Council, and the fact that on Wednesday, November 4, the City Council will discuss the amendments to the General Urban Plan (GUP) . It is interesting how at the end of the mandate, ie before the local elections, changes are made to one such key document for the development of the city. It is an area of about seven thousand square meters between the Promenade of John Paul II. and Puta Žnjana, and the plan is to build a hotel with 156 accommodation units that would be located on five floors with a superstructure, with 110 parking spaces, reports SD. Supposedly, the management of the hotel would be taken over by a big brand, but he would not buy the building, but the apartments would be bought by different owners. A contract would be reached with them according to which they would use their real estate 14 days a year, and their services would be charged at the minimum price, while the rest of the time the hotel house would rent their apartments. It is a four-star hotel with a casino, spa and wellness center, lounge bar on a flat roof, 24-hour room service… It is stated that the apartments will range in size from 328 to 667 square meters, and they are mentioned prices from 216 to 263 and a half thousand dollars.
Having been living in Greater Jakarta area for the past three decades, Hanim has always had a yearning for a little bit of her hometown of Bukittinggi, West Sumatra. The 55-year-old resident of Ciledug, Tangerang, Banten, says that even though places selling traditional Minang dishes are plentiful in the capital and satellite cities, nothing can really beat the authenticity of the aroma of the food from her parents’ and neighbors’ houses back home.She found some such home cooking on Saturday in a plate of katupek gulai paku (Minang-style fern leaves boiled with coconut milk and served with rice cake). To enhance her dining experience, she added kerupuk merah (red tapioca crackers) to the dish.“After living for many years in the capital, eating Minang cuisine has always been my remedy to cure my longing for Bukittinggi,” Hanim told The Jakarta Post on Satur… Google Facebook LOG INDon’t have an account? Register here Linkedin Forgot Password ? Log in with your social account Topics : Minang-food Minang minangkabau Padang-food food-festival Tanah-Abang Central-Jakarta
From the previous support price of P17per kilogram, the NFA Council recommended an additional P2, making the currentbuying price at P19 per kilogram. In Negros Occidental, the NationalFood Authority (NFA) is buying palayat P19 per kilogram for clean and dry stocks. BACOLOD City – Negros Occidental Gov.Eugenio Jose Lacson said the P5-million fund of the provincial governmentallocated for the procurement of palay(unhusked rice) is still available. PHOTO BY PNA BACOLOD “The fund is available. If everthere’s a need to buy palay, we will buy,” he added on Monday. Frisco Canoy, provincial manager ofNFA-Negros Occidental, encouraged farmers to sell their palay at NFA buying stations in Ilog town and cities of Bacolod,Bago and San Carlos. The province’s buying price will be atP15 per kilogram. It will procure the farmers’ palay then sell the stocks to government institutions. The proceedsfrom the sale will be used to continue buying from farmers until needed. Lacson said the ordinance approved bythe provincial board funding the palay procurement is still in the publicationperiod, and the buying process can proceed later. Last month, the governor cited thatthe provincial government has set aside an initial P5-million fund for palay-buying amid the plummeting prices. However, the incentives of up to P3.70per kilogram have been removed. The buying station will be set up atthe rice processing center in Bago City, which has drying, milling and storagefacilities. The Office of the ProvincialAgriculturist last month reported the average price of palay in the province has dropped to P13 to P14 per kilogram.(With a report from PNA/PN)
It is situated in the 3,000 squaremeter lot owned by the city government./PN BACOLOD City – The Department ofPublic Works and Highways (DPWH)-Engineering District is set to turnover to thecity government the P33 million evacuation center in Barangay Vista Alegre. The construction of the facilitystarted in 2018 and it was completed at the end of 2019. “Since the construction of the projectis already done this should be turned over to the city government of Bacolod sothat it will be utilized,” the solon said. Cong. Greg Gasataya, who conducted asite inspection yesterday at the said facility, disclosed that the turning-overceremony will be held on Feb. 14. He added the evacuation center couldalso be utilized as an isolation facility for the persons under investigationof the 2019-novel corona virus in case of the worst situation. The facility has a multi-functionbuilding that can accommodate about 300 persons; an infirmary that canaccommodate about 100 patients; a laundry area, a material recovery facility;separate restrooms for male and female and it has a generator power supply andwater supply.
RelatedPosts ITF sets registration deadline for 2019 Lagos Open Lagos Open Tennis: Oyinlomo advances to second round In what could be described as the reflection of the most significant gains of Nigerian players who featured at the last Lagos Open Tennis Championship, four of the country’s players are now among those in the global rankings.Topping the list is Oyinlomo Barakat Quadre whose exploits at the two-leg tournament held in October now sees her achieved a career-high WTA singles ranking of 940 in the world.The unseeded teenage sensation reached the round of 16 in the first leg and followed it with a brilliant run to the quarterfinals in the second leg, notably beating the tournament’s 8th seed, Tamara Curovic of Serbia, along the way. She Quadre is currently at the ITF Centre in Morocco on a scholarship from the game’s world governing, ITF, Abuja-based Blessing Samuel is the other player to make the WTA rankings after a decent showing at the Lagos Open as she is now the world number 1024.Also, Blessing Anuna, who reached the women’s doubles quarter-finals in partnership with Ronke Akingbade at the Lagos Open, is now the only Nigerian ranked on the WTA doubles standings, with a ranking of 1221.Reacting to the development, Lagos Open Tournament Director, Prince Wale Oladunjoye said the fact that there was no Nigerian in the ranking before the tournament held in October reflects the great opportunity the Lagos Open provides for the Nigerian players to compete and distinguished themselves among the best players from all parts of the world.Players from no fewer than 57 countries took part in the recently held Lagos Open Tennis, which was held at the Lagos Lawn Tennis Club at TBS, Onikan, Lagos.Tags: Lagos Open Tennis ChampionshipOyinlomo Barakat Quadre