Jamaica to introduce HPV vaccine

first_imgThe Jamaica government says it intends to introduce a human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine this year in the fight against cervical cancer.“A study in the United States revealed that within four years of the vaccine’s introduction, HPV decreased by over 50 per cent among females aged 14 to 19. This is very good news for the fight against cervical cancer,” said Health Minister, Dr. Christopher Tufton.n his message at the launch of the Jamaica Cancer Society’s fundraising initiative, “Relay for Life,” last week, Tufton said the vaccine is just one of several interventions by the Ministry of Health to reduce cases of cancer among the population.He said that an improved public health system should decrease delay in the screening, diagnosis and treatment of persons living with cancer.Cancer accounts for 23 per cent of deaths here.The most common cancers in Jamaica are prostate, lung and colorectal in men; and breast, cervical and colorectal cancers in women. Prostate and breast cancers are the leading cause of cancer-related deaths.In 2013, the Ministry of Health commenced the implementation of the Cabinet-approved National Strategic and Action Plan for the Prevention and Control of Non-Communicable Diseases (NCDs) in Jamaica. The plan, which emphasises cancer prevention, is slated to last from 2013 to 2018.Most recently, the Ministry launched the Jamaica Moves campaign, which encourages all Jamaicans to incorporate at least 30 minutes of physical activity in their daily routines.Under the theme ‘Let’s Keep Hope Alive’, the 15th staging of the fundraising initiative, Relay for Life, is slated to take place on June 17 and 18.The initiative aims to raise J$15 million to assist newly diagnosed cancer patients in accessing treatment; and to promote greater awareness of the condition through public education programs.last_img read more

Andrea Delcita Wright returns to South Florida with Corpral Del

first_imgThere will be good ole’ Jamaican drama in South Florida this Father’s Day weekend as Sunshine Theatre presents the return of Andrea `Delcita Wright in her new hit play Corpral Del.It is the sequel to last year’s hit production, Border Patrol. The two shows are scheduled for: June 17th at 8:00pm – North Miami Beach Performing Arts Center (17011 NE 19th Ave, N Miami Beach) June 18th at 7:00pm – Coral Springs Center for the Arts (2855 Coral Springs Dr. Coral Springs).Corpral Del follows Delcita after she is kicked out of the police force. She finds love and has marital hopes. It’s rib-tickling roots theater at its best. Wright wrote and produced Corpral Del which co-stars Christopher McFarlane, Deon Silvera, Trudy Campbell and Ruschiene Diedrick.It is directed by David Tulloch.Pre-show entertainment will come from singer Sasha Dias whose song Borrowed Time topped Jamaican music charts recently.Tickets for Corporal Del are $50 VIP, $45 reserved seats and $40 for general seats. They are available from select West Indian outlets in Dade, Broward and Palm Beach, the Coral Springs Box office or online at www.sunshinetheatrecompany.com.last_img

Jamaica’s bobsled team on brink of elimination

first_imgTeam members Jazmine Fenlator-Victorian and Carrie Russell show off the bobsled provided by Red Stripe Loose bolts on Jamaica’s sled are believed to be responsible for the team’s underwhelming performance in their first two heats of the women’s bobsled competition at the Winter Olympic Games in South Korea on Tuesday.Placed 19th overall after two heats The Jamaicans clocked times of 51.29s and 51.50s in Heats 1 and 2, respectively, to be 19th overall and on the brink of elimination from the competition. The team of Jazmine Fenlator-Victorian and Carrie Russell now need to finish in the top 10 in tomorrow’s Heat 3 to be assured of advancing to the medal round, Heat 4. Responding to queries about the team’s performance, Leo Campbell, Vice President of Sports at the Jamaica Bobsleigh and Skeleton Federation (JBSF) revealed that an inspection of the sled revealed what could be the source of the problem. Sled has loose bolts“The sled set-up (the way in which a sled is prepared for a particular track and ice conditions) was affected by some loose bolts that threw the front suspension out of alignment,” he said. The problem, he explained, caused a braking effect on the sled slowing it down during the heats.Bobsled team perplexedCampbell said the team was perplexed at how slow the sled was during the heats considering that during the practice runs on the weekend, it had attained speeds of 133kph much faster than the 128kph that was achieved during the first two heats of competition. However, he assured that all was not lost. “It’s not over yet,” Campbell declared.He assured that the problem was relatively easy to fix and it would be addressed overnight. He said that once the problem is rectified he expects the team to be much better for Wednesday’s crucial Heat 3. “If Carrie can push like she did today and Jazmine drive like she did I am sure we will get into the top 10 and then we take it from there.”last_img read more

Jamaicans disqualified in 4x400m relay final in IAAF

first_imgJamaica suffered more misfortune at the IAAF World Indoor Championships after being disqualified in the women’s 4x400m relay final on Sunday.The United States clocked a championship record 3:23.85 to claim the gold medal.  The Jamaican quartet of Tovea Jenkins, Janieve Russell, Anastasia Leroy and Stephenie-Ann McPherson had looked like favorites to secure a spot on the podium and crossed the line well clear in second spot behind the United States.  Poland claimed third spot in 3.26.09. When the result board flashed a few minutes later, however, the Jamaicans were shown in last place with the dreaded DQ label.  The infringement was ruled to be a lane change violation as Russell shifted over into lane 1 from lane 2, pushing in front of Ukrainian athlete Hanna Ryzhykova ahead of the changeover.Ukraine were moved into the third place spot after Great Britain, who initially took third in wake of Jamaica’s disqualification, were themselves later disqualified.  The Brits were, however, later reinstated on appeal and claimed the bronze medal.last_img read more

Jamaica’s Reggae Sumfest expands to 8 days this year

first_imgJamaica’s iconic music festival Reggae Sumfest has been expanded to eight days this year, according to Downsound Entertainment, festival owners since 2016. Thousands of reggae and dancehall fans from across the world will be descending on the island to attend the 26th staging of the “Greatest Reggae Show on Earth,” from July 15 – 22 in Montego Bay.Some of the biggest reggae actsThis year’s festival has attracted some of the genre’s biggest names, including Damian ‘Jr. Gong’ Marley, Beres Hammond, Capleton, Bounty Killer, I-Octane, Spice and Raging Fyah. Patrons are in for an extra treat this year as for the first time, a Latin flavor has been added with Mexican reggae artist Jah Fabio set to perform on Friday night.“Jamaica is the birthplace of reggae music, and this world class festival, Reggae Sumfest, affords music lovers an opportunity to enjoy some of their favorite artists in a great setting,” said Donovan White, Jamaica’s Director of Tourism. “Summer is an exciting time to visit Jamaica and this event is one of the many activities visitors can enjoy as they immerse themselves in our culture, interact with our people and experience our scrumptious cuisine.” Reggae Sumfest Activities The week’s activities include:Sumfest Colorfest Beach Party on Sunday, July 15Sumfest Street Jam on Monday, July 16Sumfest All White Party on Tuesday, July 17Sumfest Blitz on Wednesday, July 18Sumfest Inspire Awards & Heavyweight Clash on Thursday, July 19Reggae Industry Symposium & Sumfest Dancehall Night on Friday, July 20Sumfest Reggae Night on Saturday, July 21Sumfest Morning Medz on Sunday, July 22Reggae Sumfest hotel packagesWith the festival dates fast approaching, hotels are filling up quickly with many already sold out. Hotel partner and Platinum Sponsor Iberostar Hotels & Resort, the all-inclusive luxury five-star property is offering the following Reggae Sumfest packages for July 20 – 22: Other partners offering special Reggae Sumfest packages include: Deja All-Inclusive Resort, Grand Palladium Jamaica & Lady Hamilton Resorts & Spa, Holiday Inn Resort, RIU Hotels & Resorts, Round Hill Hotel & Villas, Sandals Resorts, Sea Gardens Beach Resort and The Wexford Hotel. For more information about Jamaica or planning your trip to Reggae Sumfest, check out www.visitjamaica.com. HotelSingle (per person/per night)Double (per person/per night) Iberostar Suites              US$256               US$196center_img Iberostar Beach              US$210               US$170 Iberostar Grand              US$329               US$249last_img read more

Jamaica devising strategies to deal with drought

first_imgThe Jamaican government is giving consideration to convening the National Drought Committee to devise strategies to be employed should the island be forced into a widespread drought situation.Minister without Portfolio in the Ministry of Economic Growth and Job Creation, Daryl Vaz, made the disclosure during a statement in the House of Representatives on Tuesday.Below average rainfall He informed that the trend of below-average rainfall for the island continued through to the secondary rainfall season, which started in May, and reports for that month indicate that Portland and St. Elizabeth have received less rainfall than their long-term averages.He noted that although St. Mary, St. Thomas and St. Catherine also fell into that category at the end of April, the burst of showers at the start of May was able to reverse the situation in those parishes.Special concern re PortlandMinister Vaz said that based on analysis of the data covering the April/May period, the parish of Portland is being singled out for special concern as, for the second month running, the index suggests early stages of drought with moderate dryness.He noted that the north-eastern parishes, including Portland, are the source of most of the water that serves the Corporate Area from the Hermitage Dam.“Data for June is still being analyzed; however, the preliminary data suggest that the drying trend has been maintained for most of the country, and the forecast for the next few months is causing some concern for a few parishes as we navigate the summer season,” Vaz said. “These conditions could further deteriorate to be considered severely, extremely or exceptionally dry.”Vaz informed that the National Water Commission (NWC) has indicated that storage levels at the Hermitage Dam have been falling gradually over the past few months, with the system now at approximately 52 per cent of capacity. Mona is nearly full.Although the NWC has not instituted strict measures to restrict usage by their customers, Vaz said this will inevitably be required if the forecast for below-normal rainfall holds true through the summer months.last_img read more

Caribbean Development Bank signs agreement with Green Climate Fund

first_imgGrenada, CMC – The Barbados-based Caribbean Development Bank (CDB) has signed an agreement with the South Korea–based Green Climate Fund (GCF) intended to support climate related projects in the Caribbean.The CDB said that the signing of the Accreditation Master Agreement (AMA) took place on the margins of the Green Climate Fund’s Caribbean Structured Dialogue meeting that ended here on Friday.Plans for Caribbean Climate actionThe meeting brought together regional and international stakeholders to plan climate action across the Caribbean region.GCF is a financial mechanism under the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) which seeks to promote a paradigm shift to low-emission and climate-resilient development, taking into account the needs of nations that are particularly vulnerable to climate.Increase financial flows GCF executive director, Javier Manzanares, said the agreement is important for increasing financial flows to climate projects in the region:“The Caribbean is particularly vulnerable to climate change devastating impacts and significant investments are needed in the region’s infrastructure to strengthen its resilience.“The Caribbean Development Bank has a long and successful track record and I’m convinced that our partnership is a huge step towards unlocking new climate finance potential in the region. GCF is looking forward to new climate projects by CDB and to working together to accelerate climate action in the Caribbean,” he said.CDB vice-president, Operations, Monica La Bennett said the bank views the signing of the agreement as an important milestone in its relationship with GCF.“This agreement will catalyze our efforts to mobilize much-needed funding to build climate resilience in the Bank’s Borrowing Member Countries. We are looking forward to a productive partnership with GCF, having taken this very important step towards implementing innovative climate solutions in our region,” she added.AMAs are the central instrument in the relationship between GCF and an Accredited Entity. They set out the basic terms and conditions as to how the Accredited Entity and GCF can work together for the use of GCF resources.The agreement is a prerequisite for all GCF Accredited Entities to implement GCF-approved projects. Accredited Entities are key to GCF’s climate finance work as they bring forward funding proposals to the Fund and then oversee, supervise, manage and monitor these proposals when approved.The Caribbean is one of the key priority regions for GCF due to its exposure to climate impacts and its needs of climate finance. To this date, GCF board has approved a number of climate adaptation projects in Barbados, Grenada, Dominica and other Caribbean countries.last_img read more

Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Gimenez Worried About the Reopening of Schools

first_img“The reopening of schoolhouses across our state and nation cannot be a one-size-fits all approach,” said Miami-Dade Public Schools Superintendent Alberto Carvalho. The Miami-Dade School Board unanimously approved a detailed and dynamic schools reopening plan, which allows parents to choose the mode of schooling for their children. “That’s why it’s so important for everyone to wear masks, social distance and wash their hands often. It’s up to all of us to change the trajectory of this deadly virus.” Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Gimenez has admitted that he is worried about the reopening of schools in a month, as the COVID-19 cases throughout the state continue to rise. “The Superintendent and I are very worried about our children returning to school next month unless the spread of the virus is tamped down immediately,” Mayor Gimenez said. “I also want to make sure that working parents have options for the school year, but we must have a safe environment. Children and teenagers may not even know they have the virus, but they can be spreading it to their teachers and classmates with autoimmune problems or other medical conditions, as well as spreading it to their parents and grandparents, who are at highest risk of severe symptoms and death from COVID-19,” Mayor Gimenez added. center_img Superintendent Carvalho has said that if the county is still under phase one reopening by August 24, the first day of school, then schooling will be held entirely online. The reopening plan was crafted with the understanding that its implementation is based on Miami-Dade County moving into Phase 2 of the state’s reopening plan. “In addition to scientific data, the unique circumstances our community is facing must be taken into account. We are working closely with the Mayor, seasoned medical experts and educators to guide our decision making, and ensure all community parameters are clear for the safe return of our students and employees,” he added. Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Gimenezlast_img read more

VIDEO: Watch Liverpool Store Take Down Coutinho Poster, Amidst Barcelona Interest

first_imgOn Friday, Coutinho reportedly handed a transfer request to Liverpool, as the 25-year-old midfielder tries to force a move to Barcelona.However, reports in Liverpool suggests that the pulling down of the image is not in any way linked to Coutinho’s purported move to Barcelona, as the store is only preparing for their Autumn fashion launch on Monday.Liverpool have reiterated their strong stance concerning the future of Philippe Coutinho, insisting that “no offers for Philippe will be considered”, having rejected Barcelona’s second bid worth £90.4m for the Brazilian midfielder.Related Liverpool’s official club store has taken down the image of Phillipe Coutinho from its shop windows to fuel speculations about the Brazilain’s Liverpool future.According to a footage making the rounds on social media, an official of Liverpool’s Williamson Square store was seen pulling down the giant image of Coutinho from the store’s windows this weekend.last_img read more

Boylesports CFO Mark O’Neil – Operator to establish UK retail network by end of 2017

first_img Submit Share ITV secures three-year British racing broadcast deal August 5, 2020 StumbleUpon BoyleSports signs Coventry City sponsorship August 21, 2020 Related Articles Speaking on Newstalk’s ‘Breakfast Business’ show, Mark O’Neil Chief Financial Officer of Irish independent bookmaker Boylesports stated his firm’s intent on growing its UK retail network.O’Neil detailed that despite losing its bid to takeover Ladbrokes-Coral merger betting shop ‘offcuts’ which would have given his firm a ‘solid retail platform’, BoyleSports will move to pursue its long awaited plans of expanding its retail betting services in the saturated UK market.At present, Boylesports Ireland’s second largest bookmaker behind Paddy Power, operates 200 retail points throughout its Irish home. However, CEO and Founder John Boyle has continually detailed to stakeholders the importance of growing the firm’s presence in its neighbouring UK market.As CFO, O’Neil backs John Boyle’s comments stating that UK retail expansion is now a ‘reality for the business’. O’Neil and Boylesports governance are now eyeing ‘active regional opportunities’.Coming back from The Cheltenham Festival a crucial period for bookmakers, O’Neil states that Boylesports governance will seek to open 20-25 betting stores by the end of 2017.“We are looking for the right opportunities that will offer us scale, not just taking over two or three stores, but looking at cities and areas that will allow us to build a network and brand presence with a minimum of twenty to twenty-five stores”. Irish bookmakers demand clarity on reopening orders June 17, 2020 Sharelast_img read more