See War Paint’s Patti LuPone & Christine Ebersole As Glossy Makeup Goddesses

first_img Show Closed This production ended its run on Nov. 5, 2017 As previously announced, two-time Tony winners Patti LuPone and Christine Ebersole will share the Broadway stage in the Michael Greif-helmed musical War Paint in the spring. The new musical chronicles the rise and rivalry of beauty titans Helena Rubinstein and Elizabeth Arden, whose 50-year competition gave birth to an industry that would forever change the face of America. Leading ladies LuPone and Ebersole are captured in the likenesses of the makeup moguls portrayed in the striking poster. Note the subtle shading that alludes to something you might have in your cosmetic case. War Paint, which features a book by Doug Wright, music by Scott Frankel and lyrics by Michael Korie, is set to begin previews at the Nederlander Theatre on March 7, 2017. Opening night is scheduled for April 6, and Tony time is sure to be interesting. War Paint View Comments Related Showslast_img read more

‘Agritainment’

first_imgBy Sharon OmahenUniversity of Georgia Pick fruit and pet animalsSome urban farmers are using their you-pick farms to educate “city folks” about agriculture, Crawford said.Sheila Rice of Calhoun Produce in Ashburn and Sylvester, Ga., has offered what she calls “agritainment” to her customers for more than a decade.”This is the 11th year we will hide more than 3,000 eggs in our strawberry patch for our community Easter egg hunt,” she said. “Lots of people come to our farms for the family atmosphere, not just for the fruits and vegetables.”Calhoun Produce offers school field trips, hay rides and horse and buggy rides, too. “We also have animals like buffaloes on-site for visitors to see,” she said. “We try to make visits to our farms educational. Children often think all their food comes from the grocery store and need to know that it doesn’t.” With the season beginning in Georgia, pick-your-own strawberry farmers are preparing for this year’s rush of visitors. You-pick farms are becoming popular statewide as a form of entertainment as well as a place to buy truly fresh fruit.”Many you-pick farmers are realizing they need to offer more than just fruit picking to keep visitors coming back,” said Jim Crawford, the University of Georgia Cooperative Extension coordinator in Jefferson County. “When it takes just 35 minutes to pick three buckets of berries, growers need to have more to offer visitors.” Kids can ‘ride’ a tractorCrawford says “agritainment” is popular in north Georgia, too. “A farm near Atlanta has 600,000 people within a 75-mile drive,” he said. “Something as simple as having an antique, refurbished John Deere tractor at their entrance attracts people who want to capture on film the memory of their trip to the farm.”Tomatoes and peaches were two of the first fruits to debut in pick-your-own farms. Now, you can pick strawberries, blueberries and blackberries, too.”Student field trips and pumpkin patches came next,” Crawford said. “Now, corn mazes are really opening the eyes of you-pick farmers to the potential of tourism as a boost to their farm profits.”He said families also see trips to you-pick farms as family bonding excursions. “One farmer says she often sees kids with their mom one week and their dad the next week,” he said. Most farmers grow multiple cropsEntertainment or not, the fruit is still the take-home reason most people visit a you-pick farm. According to the Georgia Strawberry Growers Association, most strawberry growers also grow other fruits and vegetables to increase profits and serve more customers.Back at Calhoun Farms, Rice agrees. “Our main crops are butterbeans and peas,” she said. “Those are our moneymaking crops that we devote 1,300 acres to and use machines to pick.”Rice, whose mother Joyce Calhoun is the secretary of the state strawberry growers’ association, grows 5.5 acres of strawberries. The Calhouns sell their produce to grocery chains like Harveys Supermarkets and Whole Foods Markets.”You-Pick farmers don’t rely solely on the customers to pick their fruit,” Crawford said. “They all hire laborers to pick what the customers leave behind. Even when there are plenty of willing patrons, the berries grow faster than they can be picked by customers alone.”Find the nearest of 62 pick-your-own strawberry farms on a list at www.smallfruits.org/Strawberries/Marketing.htm. Any grower who would like to be added to the list can call the local UGA Extension office at 1-800-ASK-UGA1.last_img read more

Ex-Centereach Group Home Caregiver Accused of Tying Up Disabled Woman

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A Ridge man was arrested for allegedly tying a 59-year-old developmentally disabled woman to her bed at the state-run group home where the suspect was a caregiver, authorities said.Andrew Hatcher, 28, pleaded not guilty Monday at Suffolk County court to two felony counts of endangering the welfare of an incompetent or physically disabled person.“When a New Yorker requires the help of a group home caregiver, they expect the health care professional to act as such,” said New York State Attorney General Eric Schneiderman, whose offce secured an indictment against Hatcher. “At the very least they expect to be treated with dignity and respect—that’s a human right.”Prosecutors said Hatcher was a direct support assistant at the state-run Centereach Intermediate Care Facility when he endangered the welfare of two severely physically impaired and intellectually disabled residents by failing to perform required 15-minute bed checks to ensure their safety while he was the only caregiver on the night shift.The victim that he allegedly tied up was found the next morning still tied to her bed, soaked in urine and having suffered injuries to the skin on her feet and right leg, according to investigators.Justice John Collins released Hatcher without bail. The suspect is due back in court June 12. He faces up to four years in prison, if convicted.last_img read more

Pedestrian Killed in Hempstead Crash

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York One male died and another was injured when they were struck by a car in Hempstead Saturday, Nassau County police said. The two males, who weren’t immediately identified, were crossing Clinton Street at Dartmouth Street from west to east at 1:16 a.m. when they were struck by a 2013 Dodge Challenger, police said. One of males suffered fatal injuries and was pronounced dead at the scene, police said. The other victim was taken to a local hospital with unspecified injuries. In the case of the victim who suffered fatal injuries, police said identification is being withheld pending family notification.The vehicle was impounded at the scene, police said. The investigation into the crash is ongoing.last_img read more

Give tax cuts that help middle class

first_imgOf that, 95 percent went directly to stockholders and top corporate executives, not busienss expansion or pay increases.Today, the middle class is under financial stress. Total credit card debt is now up to $1 trillion.Many college graduates have large debt. Middle class savings are minimal. If the Republicans really want to help the economy, they need to help the middle class and not take away tax deductions.The wealthy are now accumulating wealth equal to the Gilded Age. The Gilded Age was not a good time for the working class.John DworakRotterdamMore from The Daily Gazette:Car hits garage in Rotterdam Sunday morning; Garage, car burnEDITORIAL: Thruway tax unfair to working motoristsRotterdam convenience store operator feels results of having Stewart’s as new neighborEDITORIAL: Beware of voter intimidationEDITORIAL: Urgent: Today is the last day to complete the census First came the Supreme Court decision permitting unlimited campaign contributions. With the benefit of billions of dollars and the help of propaganda cable news, the Republicans are now in control of the federal government.The Republican Party is now attempting to pay for its victory by transferring more wealth to the wealthy and corporations. They promote their agenda with words like “trickle down.” They promise economic prosperity and growth for all with a large tax cut.Ronald Reagan was the first president who passed “trickle down” economics and a large tax cut for his class. Reagan’s tax cuts didn’t pay for themselves through economic growth. The results were enormous deficits, which resulted in at least 11 tax increases that mostly affected the middle class.Now we are hearing the same propaganda. They even add the lie that tax cuts to corporations will increase workers’ pay by thousands of dollars per a year, as well as produce a rapidly growing economy. These statements are not backed by history or economic logic. The last time corporations got a windfall income was in 2004 under the Bush administration. Categories: Letters to the Editor, Opinionlast_img read more

Govt spends 44% of recovery budget up to September, health spending lags

first_imgAfter failing to grow its spending in the April–June period, the government is trying to boost its spending on the COVID-19 relief package to prevent further economic losses. The country’s economy contracted 5.32 percent year-on-year (yoy) in the second quarter.For health care, the government has spent Rp 21.79 trillion, or around 25 percent of the allocation in the COVID-19 relief package. The money was channeled into spending on incentives for medical workers, death compensation, COVID-19 handling in hospitals and healthcare facilities, as well as the National Health Insurance (JKN) and tax incentives in the healthcare sector.“We are making sure that we are spending the budget and it remains available even for vaccine procurement,” said Suahasil Nazara, the deputy finance minister. “If a vaccine is ready this year and we can [give it] this year, we will make an allocation for that and we will do it.”With this spending on the COVID-19 relief package, Suahasil estimated the government’s spending in the July–September period “will be quite high.” “However, it may not be able to compensate for the decline in consumption and investment yet,” added the deputy minister.Statistics Indonesia (BPS) recorded a contraction of 5.51 percent yoy in consumption and 8.61 percent yoy in investment in the April–June period.Aviliani, an economist at the Institute for Development of Economics and Finance (Indef), said Thursday that the coronavirus relief package disbursement was relatively low despite its big impact. She said it should have reached around 70 percent by September, around six months after the pandemic started battering the country.A lack of updated poverty data, which might have been less of an issue if the country had an integrated data system, and the business-as-usual approach in bureaucracy led to the slow disbursement of the pandemic relief package, said Aviliani.“It is still relatively low,” Aviliani told The Jakarta Post in a phone interview. “The government’s spending was late but people’s income had been falling since April.”Piter Abdullah, an economist at the Center of Reform on Economics (CORE) Indonesia, said the government’s fear of mistargeting the relief package and thus getting criminalized or politicized was the bigger obstacle in getting the assistance to the people.The government needs to prioritize the speed of the disbursement over the accuracy because it is not possible to solve the data issue in a short time and people cannot afford more time to wait for the assistance, according to Piter.“It is better to be not so accurate but quick. Do not be both inaccurate and slow. Not being accurate is inevitable given the limitation in the data,” Piter told the Post in a phone interview on Thursday.For the social safety net programs, the government spent the most money on the Family Hope Program (PKH), disbursing Rp 36.3 trillion for 10 million eligible recipients, which covered the poorest 40 percent of the population.The government has also spent Rp 31.9 trillion on the Staple Food Card program to provide food aid for 19.4 million eligible recipients, some of which are also the recipients of the Family Hope Program.To help ease companies’ costs, the government is subsidizing the wage payment for workers who earn less than Rp 5 million a month and are active customers of the Workers Social Security Agency (BPJS Ketenagakerjaan).Since its launch in August, the government has disbursed Rp 14 trillion in wage subsidies to 11.6 million eligible workers.In August, the government also launched a grant to help micro, small and medium enterprises (MSME), called social productive assistance. A total of Rp 16 trillion in grants was paid out to 6.6 million small businesses.Topics : The Indonesian government has disbursed Rp 304.6 trillion (US$20.5 billion), or 43.8 percent of the Rp 695 trillion national economic recovery (PEN) budget, as of Sept. 28, with social safety net spending accelerating but healthcare spending still lagging.The government had spent Rp 150.8 trillion, or 74 percent of the social safety net budget, in the hope of softening the demand shocks caused by the COVID-19 pandemic and helping people stay afloat amid the economic downturn, said PEN committee head Budi Gunadi Sadikin.“We believe that, God willing, we can spend the entire budget by the end of the year so we can give leverage to Indonesia’s economic growth in the third and fourth quarters,” Budi told the press on Wednesday.last_img read more

Analytical Research founder Lods dies

first_imgThe chairman and founder of Analytical Research died from cardiac failure earlier this month.Jean-Stéphane Lods, known to many as Stephan, was on a rare holiday, in the south of France, when he passed away on 3 August, according to the alternative investment analytics firm.“The entire AR family mourns this loss,” it said in a note on its website.“He was a ‘sparring partner’ to clients (and many others),” it added. “He challenged us to push the boundaries on thinking differently – to find the exception with the highest level of conviction, to deliver to our clients what they cannot find anywhere else.” He also co-founded Eurogestion & Partners and was founding partner of Bucephale Group, the investment advisor of the first listed company on the Zurich Stock Exchange to invest in hedge funds (CreInvest AG). Lods also held investment roles with Union Bancaire Privée and Lombard Odier & Cie.He had also been a longstanding valued judge of IPE Awards and contributed to IPE Magazine .Analytical Research said that, unbeknownst to many, Lods was also appointed to the executive committee of the Convention of Independent Financial Advisors (CIFA) and a CIFA permanent representative to the United Nations. Described as “a true pioneer” in hedge fund investing, Lods founded Analytical Research in 2008.last_img read more

Pope warns that same-sex marriage threatens the family

first_imgThe Independent 22 January 2015Pope Francis has said “the family is threatened” by the efforts of those seeking to “redefine the very institution of marriage”, in a reference to same-sex marriage campaigners.The pontiff made the comments at a mass in Manila as part of his tour of Asia, despite apparently relaxing the church’s position towards the LGBT community in recent months.“The family is threatened by growing efforts on the part of some to redefine the very institution of marriage. These realities are increasingly under attack from powerful forces which threaten to disfigure God’s plan for creation,” the Pope said.Ramping up the rhetoric he continued: “Every threat to the family is a threat to society itself.”In 2013 the Pope called for gay people to be integrated into society, rather than marginalised and said: “If a person is gay and seeks God and has good will, who am I to judge?”http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/news/pope-francis-warns-that-samesex-marriage-threatens-the-family-and-disfigures-gods-plan-for-creation-9986028.htmllast_img read more

Franklin County reports first female to die from COVID-19

first_imgBrookville, IN— Franklin County Health Officials received notice today of a sixth COVID-19 suspected related death.  The patient, a woman in her 70’s, was admitted into an Indiana hospital on March 20.  She was later transferred to an Ohio hospital where she passed today.  Officials also received word of six new positive results, bringing the total of Franklin County citizens diagnosed with novel coronavirus to 44.  All four new cases are adults.The Franklin County Health Department does note that they are receiving word from several community members that have survived the virus.  “If we can have a positive message come from today, several in quarantine have been released in accordance with CDC guidelines, including four who were positive for COVID-19,” stated Angie Ruther RN.  Ruther, who is the Health Department Supervisor, continued, “A person in their 50’s has recovered and is released from quarantine.  A person in his 20’s living with his parents, all three were released.  He has recovered and his parents never showed symptoms.  A male in his 40’s has recovered.  His girlfriend never showed symptoms and has also been released from quarantine.  An 11-year-old who lives with a split family has recovered and no one in either household showed symptoms, so they have all been released.”County officials, including the Commissioners, Council, EMA, Health Department, Sheriff’s Department, Auditor’s Office, United Way, SEIOC, among others continue working to mitigate the effects of COVID-19 in our community.  Citizens are urged to stay at home.  If you must get out, follow ISDH and CDC guidelines such as, maintain social distances, wash your hands for at least 20 seconds, and avoid touching your face.last_img read more

Injured Philippe Coutinho to miss World Cup qualifiers with Brazil

first_imgLiverpool playmaker Philippe Coutinho has withdrawn from Brazil’s squad for their World Cup qualifiers against Chile and Venezuela. His place in the squad has been taken by Kaka. Press Associationcenter_img The 23-year-old played the full 90 minutes of Sunday’s 1-1 Merseyside derby draw at Goodison Park. However, the Brazilian Football Confederation announced on Monday he has pulled out of their squad with an unspecified injury. last_img read more