A Republican senator says Biden should receive daily briefings, and he will ‘step in’ to ensure that occurs.

first_imgWhen asked in his interview about the daily briefings, which contain a compendium of the government’s latest intelligence, Mr. Lankford repeatedly said there was “nothing wrong” with Mr. Biden receiving them so that he could prepare for the transition.Mr. Lankford said he understood why Mr. Biden had begun the transition process, given that major news organizations and television networks had called the race in his favor. But he also added that he believed Mr. Trump was entitled to press forward with his legal challenges because the race was close in several states.As for himself, Mr. Lankford said, “I’m going to wait this out.”- Advertisement – So far, only a small handful of Republican senators have congratulated Mr. Biden on his victory. Senator Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, the majority leader, has backed Mr. Trump, saying he was “100 percent within his rights” to challenge the outcome in court. Mr. Lankford, a member of the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee said he had already begun “engaging” on the matter. The General Services Administration would soon clear the way for the transition to more formally begin, he said.Emily W. Murphy, the Trump-appointed administrator of the General Services Administration, has the legal authority to begin the transition by formally recognizing Mr. Biden as the incoming president, releasing federal funds, making office space available and allowing the Mr. Biden’s team to interact with agency employees across the government. So far, she has refused to grant those permissions on the ground that the results of the election are not clear. Senator James Lankford, an Oklahoma Republican who sits on a key Senate oversight committee, said on a podcast released on Wednesday that he had no objections to President-elect Joseph R. Biden Jr. receiving presidential daily briefings, and that he would take action himself if that did not begin by the end of the week.“If that’s not occurring by Friday, I will step in,” Mr. Lankford said in an interview on KRMG radio in Tulsa, “to be able to push them and say, ‘This needs to occur,’ so that regardless of the outcome of the election, whichever way that it goes, people can be ready for that actual task.”- Advertisement –center_img – Advertisement – President Trump’s refusal to concede has already affected national security issues, as Mr. Lankford’s interviewer noted on the KRMG podcast. It was unclear when and whether Mr. Biden’s team would have access to classified information that would allow them to learn about the threats facing the United States.- Advertisement –last_img read more

Fecal transmission may be behind coronavirus’ rapid spread

first_imgThe novel coronavirus is shed in the feces of infected people, which may help explain why it’s spread so fast, according to Chinese researchers.The finding of live virus particles in stool specimens indicates a fecal-oral route for coronavirus, which may be why it’s caused outbreaks on cruise ships with an intensity often seen with gastro-causing norovirus, which also spreads along that pathway. More than 600 Covid-19 infections were confirmed among passengers and crew aboard the Diamond Princess, the ship quarantined for two weeks in Yokohama, Japan.“This virus has many routes of transmission, which can partially explain” its rapid spread, the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention said in a report Saturday. The agency recommends strengthening sanitation and hygiene measures to prevent fecal-oral transmission in epidemic areas. These include drinking boiled water, avoiding eating raw food, implementing separate meal systems, frequent hand-washing, disinfecting toilets, and preventing water and food contamination from patients’ stool. “The virus can also be transmitted through the potential fecal-oral route,” the Chinese CDC said. “This means that stool samples may contaminate hands, food, water” and cause infection when the microbes enter the mouth or eyes, or are inhaled, they said.Rectal SwabsRectal swabs can detect the pneumonia-causing virus in patients even when conventional oral tests are negative, doctors at the Wuhan Pulmonary Hospital in central China said in a study. The novel SARS-like coronavirus was found in oral and anal swabs, and blood — indicating that infected patients may shed the pathogen through respiratory, fecal-oral or body fluid routes, the authors said.They showed that the current strategy for detecting viral RNA in oral swabs used to diagnose Covid-19 cases “is not perfect,” the researchers said. They noted that patients may harbor the virus in the intestine at the early or late stage of disease, and that a blood test for antibodies against the virus should be considered to better understand patterns of infection.The coronaviruses that cause Covid-19 and SARS, or severe acute respiratory syndrome, bind to the same distinctly shaped protein receptors in the body that are expressed in the lungs and intestines, making these organs the primary targets for both viruses, said Fang Li, an associate professor of veterinary and biomedical sciences at the University of Minnesota, last month.Amoy GardensA virus-laden aerosol plume emanating from a SARS patient with diarrhea was implicated in possibly hundreds of cases at Hong Kong’s Amoy Gardens housing complex in 2003.That led the city’s researchers to understand the importance of the virus’s spread through the gastrointestinal tract, and to recognize both the limitation of face masks and importance of cleanliness and hygiene, according to John Nicholls, a clinical professor of pathology at the University of Hong Kong.Squat latrines, common in China, lacking covers and hands that aren’t washed thoroughly with soap and water after visiting the bathroom, could be a source of virus transmission, said Nicholls, who was part of the research team that isolated and characterized the SARS virus.Topics :last_img read more

Indian and Chinese troops man remote Himalayan outposts just hundreds of meters apart

first_imgIndian and Chinese troops were facing off on Wednesday, barely a few hundred meters apart, in a remote Himalayan region where shots were fired for the first time in decades, Indian officials said.The nuclear-armed neighbors have accused each other of firing in the air during a fresh flare-up in the Ladakh region on Monday, violating long-standing protocols to avoid using firearms along their undemarcated borders.”The situation is tense,” an official in New Delhi said, adding that Indian and Chinese troops were squaring off in close proximity in at least four locations south of the Pangong Tso lake that both lay claim to. Topics : “Both are on their own sides of the LAC,” the official said, referring to the Line of Actual Control, the de facto border.At a forward position near the Rezang La mountain pass, Indian and Chinese troops were only around 200 meters apart, another official in New Delhi said. Both officials declined to be named.On Monday, the Indian military said Chinese troops fired in the air after attempting to close in on a forward Indian position. But the China military said it was Indian troops who fired the shots, threatening Chinese border guards during a patrol.In photographs provided by sources in New Delhi from an area south of Pangong Tso taken on Monday, around two dozen Chinese troops with assault rifles hanging off their backs can be seen holding long poles with a curved blade. Reuters could not independently verify the photographs.A 70-km long patch of desolate snow desert south of Pangong Tso has emerged as the latest flash-point between the Asian giants, with some 3,000 Indian troops strung along strategic ridges and hilltops, the first Indian official said.The confrontation erupted after New Delhi mobilized soldiers late last month to occupy key heights to deter Chinese troops, whose movements suggested they aimed to occupy a hilltop that falls within territory that India considers its own, according to Indian officials.last_img read more

This contemporary New Farm home has been listed for sale

first_img87 Oxlade Drive, New Farm.Along with a powder room and laundry with access to an outdoor drying courtyard, the rear of the level includes an office with a built-in double desk and a bedroom with a balcony, an ensuite and a built-in wardrobe and study nook.Stairs and an elevator connect the first floor to the rest of the house, including the ground floor, which has an oversized double garage with a storage closet. More from newsParks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus21 hours agoNoosa’s best beachfront penthouse is about to hit the market21 hours agoThe second floor includes three bedrooms and a carpeted, sunken media room. 87 Oxlade Drive, New Farm.ALONG with a contemporary facade of exposed brick and white timber, this New Farm residence also features European oak and stone elements.A pathway leads down one side of the house to the first-floor entry. Once inside oak flooring flows from the foyer into an open-plan living and dining room with downlighting, a fireplace and floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking gardens.The has a marble island benchtop, integrated wine fridge, European appliances and streamlined cabinetry. Double sliding glass doors open the interior out to a timber deck with a two-storey-high ceiling and an outdoor kitchen with a barbecue. Glass fencing separates the deck from an in-ground saltwater pool. 87 Oxlade Drive, New Farm.Two bedrooms have built-in wardrobes and share a bathroom with travertine tiles, a timber-finished vanity and semi-open shower. The main bedroom has a custom walk-in wardrobe and a tiled ensuite with a glass rain shower, separate bath and double vanity.Other features include ducted airconditioning and fully-integrated automatic lighting and CCTV systems. In the heart of New Farm, the house is metres from the Brisbane River and a short walk to New Farm Park and Brisbane Powerhouse. Ray White New Farm principal Matt Lancashire said it had been meticulously designed to incorporate the highest architectural standards.“This is a tranquil urban property with an abundance of natural light in its informal outdoor and indoor entertaining areas,” Mr Lancashire said. DETAILS 87 Oxlade Drive, New Farm By negotiation Agent: Matt Lancashire and Scott Darwon, Ray White New Farm.last_img read more

Judge concerned about juveniles being brought before High Court

first_img 17 Views   no discussions Share A High Court Judge has expressed concern regarding juveniles being brought before her Court.Justice Bernie Stephenson-Brooks said in Court that a proper Juvenile Court should be established in Dominica.Her comments come in light of a juvenile who was brought before her Court on Monday;17 year old William Valmond pleaded guilty to wounding Chad Joseph on the 4th of March, 2010 on Elliot Avenue in Pottersville.“Again I express concern about juveniles being brought before the High Court. Juveniles have no place before the High Court. I must express my discontent with juveniles being brought before the High Court.”Justice Stephenson-Brooks also identified instances in which juveniles could be brought before the High Court.“Juveniles should only be brought before the High Court for charges of murder, treason, misfeasance or if they are jointly charged with adults. A minor has no place before the High Court.”Attorney representing Valmond complained to the Judge that his client had been brought down from the prison together with adult prisoners.The judge therefore instructed a senior police officer who was present in Court to inform police officers responsible for transporting juveniles to Court that they are to be brought from the State Prison separate adult prisoners or accused individuals. “Please inform the officers that under the Convention of the Rights of the Child which Dominica has signed onto that juveniles are not to be kept or transported in the company of adults and they are not to be handcuffed.” Justice Stephenson-Brooks also cautioned the senior officer by stating; “Please don’t let me hear that this has happened again”.She has ordered that a pre-sentencing social inquiry report be conducted to assist her in preparing sentencing. She informed Valmond that he should cooperate fully with the Social Welfare workers as they will visit him to conduct the report.Valmond informed the Judge that he had been receiving counseling and she expressed her delight at receiving this information.He has been remanded at the State’s Prison in Stockfarm for 3 weeks pending the report.Dominica Vibes News LocalNews Judge concerned about juveniles being brought before High Court by: – February 14, 2012 Tweetcenter_img Share Share Sharing is caring!last_img read more

Bus drivers accused of overcharging passengers

first_img Tweet 34 Views   4 comments Share Share LocalNews Bus drivers accused of overcharging passengers by: – June 22, 2012center_img Share File photo of the River Bank bus stand Residents in the community of Wallhouse have expressed outrage over what they claim is “totally unfair” treatment from bus drivers who have been charging them up to $1.00 more than the approved bus fare.“That is nonsense man, the country already so hard and they taking an extra $1.00,” one angry resident said.The residents claim that this is unfair because passengers travelling to Loubiere and Pointe Michel which are further than Wallhouse pay less than what they are being charged.“Some of them taking $3.00, some taking $3.50 this is just madness. I know the road bad but they shouldn’t cheat us that way,” he continued.According to the bus fare list issued by the Ministry of Public Works in August 2008, the bus fare from Roseau to Wallhouse is $2.50. This price was increased from $2.00 to $2.50 in 2003.A bus driver, who prefers to remain anonymous, said the extra charge is because of the “big hill I have to climb to bring them at their home”.While another sought to justify the price hike by stating, “them roads up there so bad, I have to buy shocks. They should tell public works fix the road”.Chairman of the Transport Board, Police Chief Cyril Carette who confirmed that the approved bus fare is $2.50, stated that the bus drivers should not over charge passengers as this is illegal.According to him, if they feel that a price hike is necessary, they must first meet with the Transport Board and discuss the issue.“They cannot just increase the bus fare like that it has to be legislated; you have to gazette the increase in the bus fares. After it is done, we [Transport Board] make the recommendation to the minister who is going to approve the bus fare”.Carette also informed that this issue will be discussed at the upcoming meeting of the Transport Board.“What we will do is discuss it at the next meeting that we are going to have sometime soon. But persons are supposed to be aware of what amount they are supposed to pay the buses and pay the buses that amount and if you find you are overcharged then you can always seek redress”.He has advised passengers who have been overcharged to file a police report as the bus drivers can be charged as this is an offence.Dominica Vibes News Sharing is caring!last_img read more

Fulham wrap up Taarabt deal

first_img Press Association Fulham have announced the signing of QPR playmaker Adel Taarabt on a season-long loan from QPR. The 24-year-old played under current Fulham boss Martin Jol when the pair were at Tottenham, with the Dutchman confirming on Monday evening that a move for the Morocco international was close. Taarabt, who was relegated with Rangers last season, had expressed a desire not to play in the Sky Bet Championship and has now sealed an immediate return to the top flight with QPR’s near neighbours. center_img Taarabt captained the R’s when he first completed a permanent move from Spurs, helping then-manager Neil Warnock guide the team to the Championship title. The former France youth international has made over 150 appearances for QPR but his time at Loftus Road appeared to be coming to an end when Harry Redknapp could not prevent the club slipping back in to the second tier. Fulham announced the signing on their website while QPR also issued a statement confirming the deal and that Taarabt had informed the club earlier in the summer of his desire to play in the top flight. Taarabt offered a short explanation behind his decision and did not rule out returning to Rangers when the loan deal expires next year. “This was a difficult decision for me, but at this stage of my career I feel I need to be playing at the top level,” he said. “I hope the fans understand my decision and I really hope to return to Loftus Road one day. “I wish QPR well for the season and hope they achieve promotion back to where I believe the club belongs.” Taarabt becomes Jol’s sixth signing of the summer following permanent moves for defenders Sascha Riether and Fernando Amorebieta, goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg, midfielder Derek Boateng and young forward Ange-Freddy Plumain. There could yet be more activity before the start of the new season as links to Aston Villa striker Darren Bent continue. For QPR, losing Taarabt could be one of a number of big-name departures during the remainder of August, with the likes of Loic Remy, Julio Cesar and Joey Barton all seemingly hopeful of securing moves away from Loftus Road. last_img read more

Luiz close to PSG move

first_img Press Association Luiz was primarily used in defensive midfield last season by Jose Mourinho after being unable to break up the central defensive partnership of John Terry and Gary Cahill. Luiz, who played against PSG in the Champions League quarter-finals for Chelsea, has two years remaining on the deal signed when he moved to Stamford Bridge and his sale represents a healthy profit. The funds would be used to reinvest in the squad, with Atletico Madrid striker Diego Costa reportedly the number one target. Chelsea defender David Luiz is on the verge of a £50million move to Paris St Germain. center_img Press Association Sport understands Brazil international Luiz is close to a transfer for a fee which would be a world record for a defender. The 27-year-old joined Chelsea from Benfica in January 2011 and was reportedly attracting interest from Barcelona and Bayern Munich, but now PSG appear to have won the race for his signature. last_img read more

Roberts chastises Hetmyer for opting out of England tour

first_imgWESTt Indies fast bowling great Andy Roberts believes Shimron Hetmyer erred when deciding to forego the West Indies tour of England.Hetmyer, 23, seen as one of the rising stars in West Indies cricket, was among three players who opted out of the tour #RaisetheBat series, largely due to safety concerns. His Guyanese compatriot Keemo Paul and Trinidadian middle-order batsman Darren Bravo, also decided to stay home despite assurances given by both CWI and the ECB that they would be kept safe in a bio-secure environment.Roberts, who was a member of a fearsome, four-pronged West Indies pace attack from the 1970s into the 1980s, believes the decision not to go was foolhardy.“They would have played an integral part of the batting,” he said during a recent conversation with Michael Holding on Holding’s YouTube channel. He suggested that the tour to England was an opportunity to improve his batting.“As much as we don’t like the way Hetmyer has been playing, he is one of the batsmen of the future. But somebody has to get into his head and let him realize that you cannot score runs sitting in the pavilion.”(Sportsmax).last_img read more