Young fire victim released from hospital

first_img“It could be six months or more until she is released from the intensive care unit,” Prado said. “We talk to her to let her hear some voices of the family. The doctors say it helps the recovery. Since the fire, Sergio Alcazar and his children – Matthew, Danielle, 9-year-old Jacqueline and 2-year-old Jonathan – have been living with his sister in West Covina. Establishing a routine of school, after-school activities and homework has helped the children cope with the situation. Prado said school officials at South Hills Academy have been very helpful throughout the ordeal. Relatives take turns taking and picking the children up from activities and caring for them on the weekends. Not seeing their mother since the fire has affected them. When Jonathan saw pictures of his mother on the computer, he kissed the computer screen and said “mommy, mommy,” Prado said. Family friends are collecting donations to assist the family. Laurie Minacori, a high school classmate of Nayeli, and three other friends have collected and given about $700 in gift cards, cash donations and merchandise to the family. Minacori said she will be bringing another $700 in donations to family soon. Donations can be made to the Alcazar Family Fire Relief Fund, account number 0530545977, and sent to the Bank of America, 150 S. California Ave., West Covina, CA 91790. [email protected] (626) 962-8811, Ext. 2108 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! WEST COVINA – Nearly a month after a fire destroyed most of their home, the Alcazar family celebrated a small miracle Saturday. Danielle Alcazar, 5, who suffered second- and third-degree burns on her hands and feet, was released from Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center over the weekend. The family’s joy is tempered by the fact that Nayeli Alcazar, 40, the mother of four children, including Danielle, remains in isolation at the medical center. Nayeli Alcazar suffered burns to 60 percent of her body and has undergone three skin graft operations, said Jesus Prado, Alcazar’s brother. The fire that ripped through the family’s home in the 300 block of North Broadmoor Avenue on March 7 was sparked by a burning candle left on the dining room table. Sergio Alcazar, Nayeli’s husband, was also injured. The family was alerted to the fire when 10-year-old Matthew awoke because he had trouble breathing. Seeing his sister struggle to recover is difficult, Prado said. The family hopes that the lively, outgoing woman will make a full recovery. Family members are keeping vigil at the hospital. Prado said his sister, who worked as an administrative assistant for the Los Angeles County Office of Public Works, has a “a long road ahead.” last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *