10 years of the Togolese machine gun attack

first_imgAmong the wounded was Obilale. So serious that they came to him for dead. The goalkeeper survived and had to face up to eight important operations to return to lead a life as normal as possible. As he explains on the BBC, everything changed at that moment. “I went back to study, took out my titles, worked and wrote a book,” he acknowledges. Now, try to improve the lives of children with more needs through football. A football that, at least at the institutional level, left him aside until relatively recently. His companions, according to this British chain, did not. Not even his captain, Adebayor. Nor other legends of African football like Samuel Eto’o or the Ayew brothers who supported him throughout his recovery and subsequent years. A tournament with one less teamAfter the attack, the Togolese government decided that the team would turn and leave the African Cup although Several players tried to oppose by ensuring that the best tribute was to play the tournament.Finally, security prevailed and the team ran out of the Africa Cup. Days later they tried to be readmitted in the tournament but the CAF did not allow it. The team wanted to return to fight for theirs and honor the memory of those who lost their lives on that fateful bus trip. “For 42 minutes we only heard shots. Everywhere. I only heard my friends scream but I couldn’t move or do anything.” This is how Emmanuel Adebayor narrated last April in Daily Mail one of the worst moments of his life, the shooting of the Togo national team bus on January 8, 2010.Ten years ago, Togo’s team was on a relatively quiet trip from Pointe Noir, in Congo, where they had prepared for the tournament, to Cabinda, Angola, headquarters where they began to play the group stage of the Africa Cup.The bus crossed the border between Congo and Angola and there, the Angolan security forces joined the convoy. A few kilometers later they would cross a forest and hear a first shot that would start a shooting with machine guns of more than half an hour. This attack would be claimed by the Front for the Liberation of the Cabinda Enclave, a group that fights for the independence of this area belonging to Angola.That day Amelete Abalo, technical assistant, Mário Adjoua, bus driver and Stan Ocloo, press officer died. The death of Adjoua in the first minutes of the attack caused the bus to stand still and that the bus could not even attempt to get them out of the ambush. Ocloo was shot down while, unfortunately, he recorded a video of the quiet arrival of the players to the country celebrating this tournament. During the attack, all the team threw themselves on the floor of the bus and held on as they could. Several were injured. Adebayor, team captain, narrated what happened. “As captain, I told everyone to call his family. I called my wife. I was pregnant and told him the names I wanted for my son if he was a boy or a girl. He replied that he didn’t understand anything and I said ‘I’ll call you later if I’m still alive, “he confessed. FRED TANNEAU & nbsp; (AFP) ‘); return false; “class =” item-multimedia “>Kodjovi Obilale, wounded goalkeeper, rests in a hospital in Lorient, France, in March 2010.FRED TANNEAU (AFP)last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *